Thursday, June 21, 2012

A Reminder That People Are People

There's a phenomenon that has bothered me since early on at my first job out of college. We (I can fall into the trap of being guilty as well) tend to dehumanize people by calling them "users", "customers", "resources" or something other than people. I think that it's particularly pervasive within I.T., but it definitely shows up in other departments as well.

I can't stand it.

Firstly, it just sounds ridiculous. "I've got some resources on my team which would be valuable on this project" is something I heard often during my tenure in a huge, corporate IT department. It's borderline offensive. How about "Steve is a rockstar developer who really understands the framework you're proposing to use. He might be a huge help." It's just so much more human.

Secondly, it puts us in a terrible mindframe. If people are just cogs in a machine, we're biased toward thinking that they'll simply just behave rationally and predictably. This couldn't be further from the truth, particularly when we're talking about building things for end users. Expecting them to intuitively understand the assumptions we made and built into our solutions is crazy. In a very current example for me, customers interacting with an online ordering site do not think about the process of ordering pizza the same way an engineer designing that site does. They don't care how hard it is to map out a delivery zone or to figure out which is the optimal location to pick up from. They just want to type in their address and have it magically appear.

So I'm pleading with you. Don't abstract away the fact that we deal with messy, irrational, and unpredictable people every day. It'll help us make better decisions and besides - it's what keeps things interesting.


No comments: