Friday, July 10, 2009

Why oh why Microsoft?

Seriously. WTF?

We just set up a Windows Server 2008 virtual machine for deployment of our Catering management application. It wasn't responding when I tried to use Remote Desktop to manage it, so my first inclination was to ping the machine to see if it was up. That didn't work, so I opened up the VMWare Infrastructure console, booted it up and tried pinging it again.

Still no dice.

So, I logged in through VMWare and checked that the IP address of the machine was configured correctly. Check.

Still no ping.

Next, I made sure I could ping out and connect to the rest of the network from that machine. Check.

So I'm now thinking it's that pesky Windows firewall again. However, the imcp / ping settings aren't there either, but there is a little link to windows help. I'm on the right track. Yaaay.

However, the little article isn't horribly descriptive and points me to the "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" Microsoft Management Console snap-in. Great.

Open that up, look around, still can't find anything about imcp under "Core Network" section.

Hello Google. I am angry. Please help me.

I find this helpful article : http://www.petri.co.il/enable-ping-windows-2008-server.htm

The instructions prove helpful and I now have a server which will respond to a ping, but really? Why the f*** is the ping setting buried in a "File and Print Services" heading? Who thinks to themselves "I want to make a server respond to pings. That means I should think about print services!"

No comments: